REDI has partnered with The Loop CID and other community partners to create COMO Cooks, a shared commercial kitchen at Mizzou North.
The COMO Cooks project will benefit the community by:
- Encouraging the growth of local food entrepreneurs by reducing barriers and creating opportunities for those without easy access to a commercial kitchen, including those who have been impacted by racial, social, and economic inequality.
- Supporting local and regional farmers by providing cost-effective space to produce value-added products.
- Increasing the economic vitality of the Business Loop by developing a catalytic project that can spur new food-based businesses along the corridor.
- Creating quality jobs that support upward economic mobility for the residents of Columbia and Boone County.
- Providing a space that can be used in the future for business incubation, workforce development, food safety classes, and other training opportunities.
Plans are underway to open the kitchen in December 2019. Applications are now being accepted for use of the kitchen when it opens.